Athlete Spotlight: Michael Diana

RYAN DISDIER
Managing Editor

Despite only being a first-year member of the swimming and diving team, Michael Diana has found ample amounts of success. He has been a key cog for the team all year long, consistently contributing at practices and during meets.

Diana manufactured a strong performance at the Landmark Conference Championship last weekend. The Royals finis

Slide 1

MICHAEL DIANA

hed in second place, while Diana, along with sophomore Alex Rigione and junior Patrick Blaser, all won individual conference championships.

Diana’s recent success garnered him Athlete of the Week honors.

Q: When did you start swimming?
A: I started diving when I was nine. I started swimming when I was younger, but I started competitively diving when I was nine.

Q: Did you have any big role models or influences when you were growing up?
A: Definitely my parents. They always encouraged me to do whatever I want, and made sure I got to every single practice on time. I have two younger siblings, and we all picked the weirdest sports with the craziest time schedules, and my parents made sure I got to every single practice, every single meet and both parents tried to make every one they could. My mom was with me through almost every single dive meet.

Q: Who is your favorite professional athlete?
A: My favorite professional athlete would probably have to be David Boudia. It’s kind of cliché and expected, but he really was a turning point for American diving when he won in 2012. It really showed all the other nations that we are, and we can be great divers.

Q: Do you have any pre-meet rituals that you do?
A: I’m extremely superstitious, and I actually don’t eat when I compete. So the entire weekend, I barely ate anything. And when I’m actually competing, I’m very much in my head and focused. I have a certain ritual where I dry myself off at a certain time, and I’ll only put my water down in a certain place. It’s a logical flow to me, and it keeps me going.

Q: Who on the team has been the biggest influence on you so far?
A: Katie Green, without a doubt. She’s a senior diver and she was there with me the entire time. She’s been my coach. She’s the reason I’ve been able to do all of this, because she encouraged me the entire time. She worked with me the whole time and made me feel so part of the team. It was just a great experience.

Q: What are the goals for the future?
A: I would love to compete for Scranton at nationals. I’ve qualified for different nationals in the past, and I know I can do NCAAs. And I want to keep our school going, I want our program to grow and I want to be the forerunner for that.