Athlete Spotlight: Katie Broderick

RYAN DISDIER
Managing Editor

Junior guard Katie Broderick compiled another successful season as a member of the Lady Royals.

After proving to be a consistently effective presence on the hardwood in her first two seasons, Broderick continued to contribute in her third season. Broderick put an exclamation point on her career-thus-far with an outstanding performance in the Landmark Conference Championship.

Against rival Catholic University, Broderick manufactured a career-high 14 points, while shooting 83 percent from the field and 80 percent from three-point range.

Broderick’s efforts not only helped the Lady Royals capture the Landmark Conference Championship, but also netted Broderick the Most Valuable Player award for the Landmark Conference playoffs.Additionally, Broderick earned Athlete of the Week honors for her efforts.

Q: When did you start playing basketball?
A: As early as I can remember, since I was five years’ old

Q: Did you have any role models growing up?
A: My dad really got me into the sport, but I watched on TV with him. I’m a big Knicks fan, which is hard. I’m from Connecticut, so I’m obviously a big UCONN Huskies fan. The women [UCONN’s women’s basketball team] are a great role model for any young girl. I dreamed of playing for the Huskies at the age of seven.

Q: Do you have a favorite professional athlete?
A: Maya Moore, who played for the Huskies. I really liked her growing up. Breanna Stewart, Michael Jordan, too.

Q: How did you end up at The University?
A: Coach [Mike] Strong contacted me during my junior year, and I hadn’t even heard of The University of Scranton. But I came on a visit, and I fell in love. I wanted to be a Physical Therapy major, so everything kind of fit in, and I knew I wanted to be a Royal as soon as I stepped on campus. It was just a great atmosphere. I loved the team, the school and the people here.

Q: What’s been your biggest achievement so far?
A: For me, I kind of take a back seat to everyone, I like doing all the little things for the team. But this weekend, obviously a big weekend for me, winning the MVP, which is an incredible award and achievement. But I’m just glad I was able to help my teammates win and get the job done.

Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals?
A: I’m not that superstitious, but I do like to keep the same socks and sports bra, that kind of thing. I also have a pre-game playlist I listen to before away games. But I really just try to stay loose and have fun with my teammates in the locker room before the game. Nothing too outrageous.

Q: What do you want to accomplish next year in your final season?
A: Well, right now we’re just focused on NCAAs. But obviously, the goal is always to win a Landmark Conference Championship and compete in our league, and compete on the national level. So I would just want to continue the tradition.

One Response to Athlete Spotlight: Katie Broderick

1. Gerry Linnertz Reply

March 10, 2017 at 9:04 am

Found this on MSN and I’m happy I did. Well written article.